Friday, March 7, 2014

About Body Policing

I’ve seen a few people getting miffed at a Kusuriuri cosplay posted earlier. The cosplayer stated they were 5’8” and 160lbs. Now, all of the complaints have been along the lines of:

"They’re not fat"
"I’m 5’8" and 160lbs and I don’t consider myself fat"

Well, see, the thing is, you’re not them and you don’t get to make that call. Not only is the person’s body shape largely hidden under the rather detailed, non-formfitting cosplay, neither you or I or anyone else has the right to look at someone and say “You don’t get to label your own appearance as you see it.” 

Your body and their body are not the same, do not hold weight exactly the same, do not feel the same. They are different bodies, and that’s perfectly okay.

I was once asked what the criteria was for being able to submit to chubcos.

I’ll reiterate: Plus size (size 14 and up), or thick enough to not be accepted without question by the “skinny” cosplay community.




View the original article here

No comments:

Post a Comment